• +380676007000
  • study@alfamed.com.ua

Donetsk National Medical University, Kropyvnyts'kyi (Kirovohrad) originates from the 12 of June 1930 when in accordance with the protocol № 19/672 issued at the meeting of the Council of People's Commissars of the Ukrainian SSR (Kharkiv) there was made a decision to open Stalin Medical Institute in the autumn of 1930.

 

In 1961 Stalin Medical Institute was renamed into Donetsk National Medical Institute

In 1962, the Faculty of Postgraduate Advanced Medical Training was established, the first dean of which was Professor R.V.Bogoslavsky . Initially, advanced training was conducted at the departments which taught students. Since 1963, there were created departments at the Faculty of Advanced Medical Training.

In 1963 the Dental Faculty headed by Professor N.N.Trankvilitati opened its doors.

From 1964 to 1985 the Institute staff was managed by the head of the department of microbiology, virology and immunology, Honored Worker of Science of Ukraine, Professor Gennady Kondratenko , who worked as a  Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs for a long time . For the first time in the history of the university it was headed by its own former graduate. The institute developed rapidly in 1960-1970s. New buildings and dormitories were constructed; training and clinical base expanded, the amount of research increased.

The expansion of educational and industrial base of the Institute was enhanced by the commissioning of a new six-storey building of sanitary Faculty of the 3rd academic building ( in 1971 ) . The new building has an assembly hall with 1000 seats, auditoriums for 160 , 190 and 420 seats.

From 1965 to 1985 the clinical base of the institute was significantly expanded. It was represented by a large network of health care institutions. The practical training of students and post-graduate work are carried out in more than 70 municipal and central district hospitals, 20 children's hospitals and departments, 20 dental offices and clinics, as well as 13 sanitary and epidemiological stations.

Important changes occurred in the teaching staff. Thus, in 1962/1963 academic year, the institute employed 439 teachers, including 22 doctors and 54 candidates of science, in the 1980/1981 academic year at 6 faculties, preparatory department, central research laboratory 884 employees already worked including 83 doctors and 508 candidates of science.

By the mid 70 - ies  DonetskStateMedicalUniversity had evolved from a third level educational institution in one of the largest and leading medical institutions in the USSR, the third in the number of enrolled students only after the 1st Moscow Medical Institute and the 2nd Moscow Medical Institute . In the 1980s the admission to the 1st year for all departments was over 1,000 students. In general, all 5 faculties of the Institute educated more than 6,000 students.

According to the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated June 15, 1994 №407 Gorky Donetsk State Medical Institute was assigned the status of a university, and the university was certified the fourth (highest) level of accreditation.

The Presidential Decree of 23 August 2007 numbered 785/2007 assigned Gorky Donetsk State Medical University the status of national.

July 5, 2014 Donetsk was fully occupied by the Russian army, Russian mercenaries and representatives of local collaborators. In this regard, the DonetskNationalMedicalUniversity today is located in the regional center - the city of Kropyvnytskyi (former Kirovograd ) .

According to the consolidated rating of higher educational establishments of Ukraine 2015 made by educational resource " Osvіta.ua " , GorkyDonetskNationalMedicalUniversity took the 13th place among all universities in Ukraine , 1st place - among the medical schools and the 4th place - among the universities of the eastern region .

Years will pass, but we are sure that the future generations of staff and students will continue to honor the glorious history of the native ALMA MATER!