• +380676007000
  • study@alfamed.com.ua

Kiev,  the capital of Ukraine (since 1934) and the center of Kiev region, is located on the River Dnieper and is the country's largest city and its main industrial, transportation and cultural center. This is a railway junction and a river port with a population of 2,809,000 inhabitants.

Kiev was founded in the 5th century as the center of  Polanians (a Slavic tribe). In Russian chronicles it was referred to in 860. From the 9th to  the beginning of the 12th century it was the capital of Kiavan Rus. In 1240 Kiev was destroyed during the Mongol invasion. From 1362 the city was under the rule of Lithuania and Poland, and from 1654 it was a part of the Russian Empire.

Kiev is a major center of mechanical engineering (including machine tools, transport machinery, precision instruments). There are enterprises of electrical, electronic, light (silk, knitwear, garments, footwear), chemical, printing, food-processing industries. Production  of construction materials is developed. In addition, the city is the center of the region, specializing in  production of agricultural products: corn, vegetables, sugar beet and others. Since 1960,  underground has been working in the capital.

In Kyiv, there are 18 universities, the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 15 theaters (including the Ukrainian Opera and Ballet), about 30 museums (historical, Ukrainian art, Russian art, Western and Eastern art, folk architecture and life, history of Kiev, archeological, folk decorative art, archive-museum of art and literature, history of medicine, and others.) and Republican Stadium.

The capital of Ukraine is one of the most beautiful cities in the world with numerous monuments of architecture, the remains of the Golden Gate (11th century), St. Sophia Cathedral (11th century; bell tower 17-19th centuries). Church of the Savior on Berestove (11-12th  centuries) (in 1157 the founder Moscow Yuri Dolgoruky was buried here), Vydubychi Monastery (11th century.), St. Cyril's Church (12th century), the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra (11-18th century), St. Andrew's Church (18th century, designed by Rastrelli), St. Vladimir's Cathedral (19th century) as well as created in t 1947-1954 always lively ensemble of Khreshchatyk, the main street of the city.